Most of us know the drill when it comes to anti-aging – stay out of the sun, load up on antioxidants, use great skin care, drink lots ‘o’ water, exercise and don’t smoke. One of the biggest factors that seems to get overlooked all too often is STRESS. We all know people that look haggard from having a tough life and/or negative thinking patterns but how often do we see someone that looks great for their age and think, “she really knows how to manage stress” or “she has a great attitude?
When I was in college, I remember gasping at finding out one of my classmates was 37. She looked 23 and at the time 37 seemed SO OLD (it’s now my current age). I asked her for her secret and she said, “I don’t make mountains out of mole hills”. This has stuck with me since then and I have always made a conscious effort to not worry or stress out about anything for too long – it might mess with my skin!
It seems to be more anecdotal than well-researched but studies do exist that prove that people who constantly worry have higher rates of cellular aging and that this negative thinking breaks down the elasticity of the skin.
You need to learn to chill out. Easier said than done, right? I am not a pro but I can give you some tools that work for me:
- Stretching and yoga – grounds me and feels great
- Exercise – makes me feel mentally and physically strong and balanced
- Limiting stimulants like coffee and sugar
- Meditate – I close my eyes and focus on my breath (mantra: I let go the past, I let go of the future)
- Attitude – I perceive problems as fixable and a learning opportunity
- Admitting to personal limitations and keeping things simple
- Focusing on what I have rather than what I don’t have
Peace, love and beautiful skin.