1. Stress – When you get stressed out or anxious, it raises your cortisol levels (a hormone produced by the adrenal glands). This causes inflammation in your body and can tax your skin. Not to mention the fact that when you are worrying about something, you are likely scrunching up your face or frowning, which will create lines.
2. Smoking – Inhaling toxins creates free radicals in your skin that break down collagen and mess with the elasticity. This will cause skin to droop and will deepen wrinkles. The area most vulnerable is skin around your mouth which will get lines from puckering consistently.
3. Tanning – Please don’t. Not only do you put yourself at risk of skin cancer but you are damaging your skin every time you do it. It takes its toll and will create sagging and chronically dehydrated, wrinkly skin. If you must have a glow, go for a spray tan. There are non-toxic ones available now because the actual ingredient that changes your pigmentation is an amino acid that is safe.
4. Unhealthy food – What you eat is going to have a direct effect on your skin. If you are eating foods that cause inflammation in your body, it will also cause inflammation your skin (i.e. aging). Avoid heavily processed sugars, wheat, meats and dairy. Eat LOTS of fresh vegetables and fruits high in antioxidants.
5. Chemical cosmetics and skin care products – When you put harsh synthetics on your skin, it causes inflammation. I’ve observed this in many women who swear by the popular chemical brands. They have rough, sagging skin that is constantly covered up by makeup. If you are using the right skin care, you won’t need foundation. Choose natural products if you want truly healthy, beautiful skin.