Body oil is wonderful for moisturizing and softening skin, especially in the dry winter months. For this project I have chosen to infuse a natural oil with vanilla and cardamom to create a sweet smelling bath and body oil. It can either be applied directly or added to a bath. I sourced all of the supplies from a bulk ingredients store (Bulk Barn), grocery store, and craft store (Michael’s).
You will need:
500 ml natural unscented oil like grape seed, almond, or sunflower (grocery store)
1/4 cup of cardamom pods (Bulk Barn)
2 vanilla beans (Bulk Barn)
cute labels (Michael’s)
4 x 100 ml bottles (Michael’s)
1. Grind cardamom pods in a mortar and pestle or chop them finely with a large kitchen knife.
2. Mince vanilla beans as fine as possible.
3. Pour oil into saucepan and add the vanilla and cardamom. Heat at the lowest temperature possible for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and cover. Allow the mixture to sit for a day or two in order for the essential oils to meld with the oil.
4. Strain oil through a sieve or tea basket (such as the one in the photo) and into a container for pouring. There might be some particulate so you can additionally add cheese cloth, paper towel or a coffee filter to ensure that the oil is clear. It’s your preference.
5. Using a funnel, carefully pour oil into each of the 100 ml bottles. The extra 100 ml will have been lost to absorption by the vanilla and cardamom.
6. Apply your labels and voila – a beautiful, sweet smelling gift handmade by you.